Sunday 21 August 2011

The Celeb Treatment


I have been having terrible trouble with my saliva for quite a long time now.  What this means is that I tribble a lot, and find it difficult to talk, it is degrading and embarrassing.  For example, when I'm working on the computer I will tribble and it doesn't stop so I get through a lot of handkerchiefs!  Often I am typing with one hand, and handkerchief in the other dabbing my mouth.  In many ways something like this is harder to deal with than not walking properly or being bent.  The same applies to bladder problems which are a symptom of MSA.  These two symptoms for me are the hardest to bear at the moment because I have lost control of the functions and both are very public. 
It is not that I'm making more saliva than usual, but I'm not swallowing enough on a regular basis to take the saliva away.  This happens naturally for most people with no trouble at all, but not for me because of the loss of cells from my brain means that the messages are erratic.  I have to consciously swallow on a regular basis. Chewing gum helps this so I have been having an exciting time chewing my way through different sizes, shapes, colours and tastes of American chewing gum, provided by my youngest daughter Grace, who is living in New York at the moment!
I have been put on a conventional drug route for this problem that was recommended by my London medical team.  It struck me that they are all too familiar with it as it was no surprise to hear me complaining about it.  Currently I use eye drops which I squirt on my tongue and skin patches that are placed behind my ears and last for 3 days.  These two forms of treatment are meant to do the trick but not for me, it still carries on albeit at a slower pace.  Prof Lees had mentioned in passing that there was another form of treatment, Botox, which was the next step.  Yes, it is Botox used by celebs so I just laughed and did not take it seriously.  I thought it was very funny that there was a possibility of Botox administered care of the NHS!  Then to my surprise, I received a phone call from my GP less than two weeks ago asking me to get in touch with him. When I did I was told that Prof Lees team had located a surgeon Mr McCall in my local hospital, Airedale, who could do the Botox procedure.  I was amazed, and even more impressed when out of the blue, a letter arrived on Monday this week inviting me to attend the Max Fax clinic on Thursday. Of course I went and had the usual long, tedious wait with the only entertainment being watching what I thought were doctors coming out of one door crossing the corridor to another door and then after a few minutes doing the reverse repeatedly!  I thought it was hilarious.
  Eventually I was seen by the two men [one was a researcher] that I had watched going in and out of the doors.  After checking me over and asking the usual questions.  The doctor said he had to leave me and talk to the consultant in the room opposite, so that was what the to-ing and fro-ing had all been about. I was pleased to hear that I was deemed suitable to be treated and they could do it then and there.  So I went ahead because I thought it was better than coming back again. In between time Liz, who was my chauffeur was getting fed up not surprisingly as she had been sitting in the car waiting for me for one and a half hours. Interestingly, it took longer for the Botox to be collected from the pharmacy than the procedure of injecting my saliva glands, which took approximately 5 minutes and was uncomfortable but not painful.  So now I am a proud member of the Botoxers but whether the treatment works or not I won't know for seven days and if it does I have to go back to repeat the injections every three months!
That's it now as I am enjoying the company of my eldest brother and his wife, Peter and Angela from Adelaide.                                 

No comments:

Post a Comment