Sunday 20 November 2011

A surprise

This has a special week because I went to the UVAC [Universities Vocational Award Council] conference in York.  It is a two-day conference focused on all aspects of workbased learning and is a well established part of the HE landscape.  I set it up in the first place and organised the event on an annual basis for nine    years so that is why attending this year was so special.  When I left UVAC I did not attend the conference for two years and only returned last year. I had such a warm welcome then.  It was a bit emotional for me because by then I had been diagnosed with Parkinsons plus probably MSA.  I thought it would be the last time I would be able to attend any conference let alone this one, so this was a real bonus.  
                      
There are not many conferences that focus on higher education vocational learning issues,  as well as acting as a platform for the practice in the field,  so this event is a good opportunity to catch up with people, hear the latest gossip and complain about finance, especially over dinner when the wine is flowing freely.  It has always been in York in November and a for a long time in the Royal Hotel right next to the railway station, an excellent location because there are frequent trains t o London and all the major cities.  York is a great shopping centre, so delegates can stay on to do some Christmas shopping if they wish.  We all know what conferences are for!
It was possible because Liz gave her time to drive me there and stay overnight, accompanying me in the conference so that I didn't do anything silly like falling over.  It worked very well, but I think Liz is more of the minder than a carer.  The journey over from Skipton was uneventful, the trouble began when we got the hotel and there were no parking spaces.  Liz temporarily parked the car and went to reception where a very helpful chap told her where there were spaces.  This parking business was of course entirely my fault because I don't have a blue badge!

I started to meet old colleagues and it was a good job that Liz had warned me that they would be quite shocked at how I looked, bent over walking badly and hardly any voice.  It was a little embarrassing to begin with for me and them.  Some were surprised that I'd made it to the conference.  I really felt that I was amongst friends and my disability was accepted and parked.  The hardest part for me during the conference was talking, and I think MSA is making sure that I am a Prof who can't speak, a very new phenomena.  So, question time in the workshops was utterly useless for me.  One-to-one conversations were possible but my voice soon faded and continuing was strenuous as I struggled to formulate the words and make myself heard.  Anyway, the chairs were comfortable, I didn't have problems moving around room to room, our bedroom was big, dinner good and breakfast great.  The UVAC team did an excellent job as usual - what we have come to expect.  The biggest surprise was hearing that my Middlesex University colleagues want to help me; I think we will get them involved in raising some money for research.
Although tiring this was a good thing to do and has encouraged me greatly to make the best of what opportunities are left. 

No comments:

Post a Comment