Saturday 14 April 2012

New Beginnings

In his last blog Simon spoke about the lovely week we’d had and if he’d been able to do an entry last weekend I’m sure that he would have said something similar. Sadly the blog he wrote on 31 March was his last as Simon died unexpectedly and peacefully in his sleep on Good Friday. He was curled up like a hamster. I can’t explain my feelings at the time but within a few hours I was feeling very positive. My lovely husband and best friend’s spirit was free from a body that was slowly consuming him. He’d not had to resort to using a wheelchair or having people caring for him apart from me and he’d died in the home he loved in his own bed.
It had been hard for him in recent weeks as he felt useless and very vulnerable. He was finding it so difficult to stay positive but on the day before he died we had been across to Harrogate to see our daughter and the two boys and he was happier than he’d been for a while. Eve, the boys and I went to Harrogate theatre and all enjoyed ‘Tiddler and other Tales’ while Simon stayed at home reading a book in the conservatory overlooking the back garden. When we got back he was telling us about all the birds he’d seen as we ate lunch together, and Eve got told off for throwing a piece of unwanted toast into the bin instead of feeding it to the birds.
Our Christian faith and its values have underpinned the thirty seven years Simon and I have spent together and hopefully permeated our personal relationships and working lives. If Simon had to die now what an auspicious day to die - following the Easter story certainly helped last weekend. His funeral will take place at our village church, St. Mary’s Embsay, at 11.30am next Thursday, April 19th, followed by a green burial at a beautiful site not far away from where we live in Eastby. I’ve got him a Yorkshire wool coffin made locally which he would certainly approve of.
Grace, our youngest daughter, came home yesterday. It’s been hard for her being thousands of miles away in New York.
I intend to continue Simon’s blog for the time being as several of our friends and family have said that they would like contribute to it. I also think it may help others to know how family and friends come to terms with the loss of someone close to them.
The following poem was written by Penny, Simon’s cousin in Australia when she was coming to terms with her husband’s death. It will be read during Simon’s funeral.
A journey by train
Facing the way the train is going
Allows you to see the landscape flowing
Past the window and out of sight
Always replaced by the next scene’s sight.

Facing back the way we’ve been
Startles but there’s time to grasp the scene
And watch it fading down the line,
To let it go, the past’s grapevine.

Which seat do you choose as you journey along?
Is your focus ahead, much further on,
Or searching behind for what is past?
Perhaps now is where the best will last.

Eve, Simon and Daniel, Christmas Day 2009

5 comments:

  1. Simon and his blogs will be sorely missed by me. Rest in peace friend. My condolences to his family. Sonja van Rhyn, South Africa, MSA patient and fellow blogger

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dearest Liz... My dear friend Sonja (comment above) referred me to this site. I would like to share my condolences with you as well and would like to say that I am so glad that you intend keeping this blog alive. I intend reading all Simon's posts in due time - what a gift he left for all of us...a very personal insight in the mind of someone who had to deal with MSA. I salute all the people who are undertaking similar journeys, as well as their numerous caregivers. We will be dedicating our journey on the Camino de Santiago pilgrimage in Spain later this year to MSA awareness - thanks to the efforts of Sonja van Rhyn from South Africa - and I herewith send you a personal invitation to join us via my blog: http://www.caminosantiago2012.blogspot.com. The BIGGEST hug to you today! Lots of love from across the oceans! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes,please keep writing Liz - others will learn much from the way you and your family have reacted.
    John

    ReplyDelete
  4. My sincerest condolences ... I am so sorry for your loss ... my mom has lived with this illness for a very long time ... longer than the usual life expectancy ... it is a hard life for my mother ...

    All my best ...

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful blog, thank you. I am glad I had the opportunity to share ideas and learn from Simon. My thoughts are with him and his family. Warmest regards, Tony.

    ReplyDelete