Sunday 10 June 2012

Parties

It has definitely been the week for parties and other social events for me. How about you? The village picnic in a farmhouse garden to celebrate the Diamond Jubilee was cold but the company was very warm and the tasty delicacies provided by one family were melt in the mouth wateringly good. I haven’t felt like opening a bottle of wine since Simon died but I was pleased when I was asked to share a bottle of red with two ladies who are well into their eighties. Thursday’s party was very different. My niece has reached the 40 milestone and her daughter arranged a fun evening for her, a meal first with family and friends and then a disco. I braved the flashing lights and loud computer generated (?) head banging music for about ten minutes, watched some very interesting movements on the dance floor, admired the decorations and then decided I just had to leave them to it. I did dance the following evening. It was an 80th birthday celebration for a much loved and wonderful lady called Rose. She surprised everyone by wearing a stunning dress she had bought in the 1960s. All three events were memorable and very happy occasions.
It is so important to make memories and what better way than bringing lots of people together. It’s a chance to step out of our routine lives and catch up with friends and acquaintances and to meet new people. It would have been easy not to bother and I certainly had to force myself to get into the car and drive to Lancaster on a very wet evening for my niece’s celebrations. I am so glad I did.

This afternoon I’ve visited a lovely garden in a nearby village and driven on to visit a textile artist in her open studio/home. In both places I saw a riot of colours and met lots of people I haven’t seen for ages. One person was the mother of a girl I used to teach and another was one of my ex students at the High School. We exchanged memories and caught up with each other’s lives.  It has reminded me that we are all part of the people we meet and the people we meet are part of us, some a lot more than others. I can think of a few special people who have inspired me and helped to make me the person I am today and of course one was Simon.
I am moving on, on some days apparently easily and occasionally painfully; two journeys simultaneously in the world of the world and in the inner world of myself and my relationships. It’s all one world really.
Have a good week and take time to make memories.

No comments:

Post a Comment