Sunday 18 March 2012

Is it Spring?


 
Hello everybody, I hope you are keeping well.  I am looking forward to my day as this morning the Formula One racing started in Melbourne, Australia.  I love the razzmatazz of the events and the technical expertise combined with human skill.  Watching motor racing has been part of me since about 16years old when I went to places like Silverstone and Mallory Park as a marshal.  My eldest brother Peter used to take me to the events.  He was mad keen on restoring cars so there was always one available to take us - I don't know how he put up with me.   My trainer at the gym is very keen supporter of Formula One too so on Monday when I go he will no doubt want conversation!
I have been busy recently due to external examining at Lancaster University.  I would recommend the CETAD team if you are thinking of getting a degree later in life.  They run an APEL system that is accreditation of prior learning and experience, as well as individually negotiated learning contracts.  It allows you to pick and choose which modules are best suited for your learning needs.  They are also a hard working and caring team who treat me well.
I went to my GP on Friday morning, the first time for nearly a year because I normally use Internet or telephone to talk to her.  She is not the most popular doctor in the surgery.  Perhaps because she is straight to the point, and has no time for time wasters but I like her.  She does have some knowledge of MSA which helps enormously, so we got down to business quickly.  She went through the letters from my London consultants and my local urology consultant and looked at my left foot which has been causing me problems – I get a dull ache in three of my toes all of the time and sometimes in my heel.  I have to see a podiatrist and have a swallowing test because the last one was a year ago. However, in the past I have had tests, for example, a blood test to check my kidneys are okay but two and a half months later I still haven’t had the results. I assume no news is good news. My medication remains much the same.  Liz went with me for the first time – my good shepherdess. We all agreed that I would probably be in a wheel chair by now if I didn’t go to the gym – the routine is paying dividends.
Things are getting more difficult to do, I can't walk very far, my bowel and bladder are erratic and I find it increasingly difficult to speak  so it is not surprising that sometimes I get emotional and feel down but spring is in the air. We haven’t got any lambs in the fields around our house yet but the daffodils are out on the side of the road and the birds are busy making nests. The longer days and sunshine we’ve been having recently lifts my spirits. Liz and I sat outside our favourite café in Skipton and drank hot chocolate and watched the world go by after my doctor’s appointment this week. How about you, what’s giving you a buzz?

2 comments:

  1. Good to see you are engaged in various activities. I am about to make what might be my last visit to Africa - Zambia. Funds are so short, organisation difficult and I suppose I might need a rest/change.
    Keep smiling,
    John

    ReplyDelete
  2. http://news.sl/drwebsite/publish/article_200519917.shtml
    This might be of interest - the oldest Prince of Wales pupil.
    Best wishes,
    John

    ReplyDelete