Monday 14 May 2012

Beautiful things


Simon would have been so pleased this week as he got a letter saying that his Cultural Quarters book, translated last year into Italian, has won the Premio Opera Straniera. I am not sure what that is but it sounds very grand doesn’t it? He would have also been pleased to see his pots back home after a very successful exhibition for Craven Museum and Art Gallery. There were 12,948 visitors, many more than usual for an exhibition at this time of year. The Arts Officer wrote in the visitor’s book ‘Thank you so much for your generosity in lending us this collection, which has made this the best, highest quality exhibition we have ever had in the gallery.’ I had lots of reservations when Simon said he wanted to do this but it was absolutely the right thing to do. I’m glad they’re back home now though.

It’s good to experience new things isn’t it? Yesterday I bought my first pair of jeans! Simon never liked men or women wearing jeans. My daughters who seem to live in jeans when they are not working will be amazed. I also helped to lamb a sheep for the first time this week as my neighbour and farmer friend needed me to hold a ewe while he pulled the lambs out. I now have a large bruise on my hand from a horn as the ewe struggled to free itself from my hold.

I’m discovering that I need to embrace sadness and find ways to combat restlessness and not being able to settle in the evenings sometimes. Looking at the beautiful things we have acquired together works wonders. Simon gave me some lovely contemporary jewellery. He chose carefully and my favourites are the very individual fun pieces. That reminds me of Keats’ words, ‘A thing of beauty is a joy forever, its loveliness increases; it will never pass into nothingness.’ It’s so true and I am very lucky to have beautiful things to enjoy - thank you Simon. You have certainly left a wonderful legacy in so many ways.


No comments:

Post a Comment