Friday 16 November 2012

Challenges

What a lovely week we’ve had weather wise in Yorkshire.  What's it been like for you?
Grace’s first week at work in London has been a long one and I think it’s going to take her a while to get used to getting up at 6.30am and starting her commute three quarters of an hour later and not getting back to my friend’s home in Laleham until 6.45pm. So far she’s most impressed by the free tea, coffee, cold drinks, soup and fresh fruit which she can help herself to all day long. The team she’s working with are very welcoming – they’ve already taken her out to lunch and drinks are planned after work tonight. So I guess I don’t need to worry about her.
I was in London myself last week for a Think Global Conference and also stayed with my friends Anne and Bill in Laleham. The conference was in the same area of Central London where Grace is now working so I did the same commute – once was enough for me. I am too old for commuter trains when you have to stand for the entire journey packed in like sardines. Travelling to and around London made me sad as Simon used to do it so often. I came home very weary and to be honest I’ve felt weary ever since so perhaps it’s time I gave myself a break. I had a great evening last night though at a Fairtrade Fashion Show at Skipton Girls' High where I used to teach. The school band helped to create a lovely atmosphere and there were lots of interesting stalls so I did some Christmas shopping. My favourite buy is a shopping bag made by artisans with disabilities in Tanzania using a recycled flour bag, lined with fabric and with a recycled rubber long shoulder strap. Somehow I think I won’t be giving that away.

Just watched Team Rickshaw complete their 411mile journey for Children in Need and I’m so impressed by their achievement. The challenge for them was enormous but with the support of the team, their families and all the people they met along the way they’ve made it and raised well over £1m. Fantastic! The film of the best bits of the 8 day journey from Llandudno and London were brilliant and I’m sure that all of them are now brimming with confidence and ready for more challenges in the future.

Come to think of it that’s exactly what I need, a physical challenge. A friend and his wife have just returned from trekking in the Himalayas and spending some time in India. He couldn’t stop talking about it when I saw him, he was really buzzing. However, I think something simpler for me - maybe learning to swim. I never learnt when I was young because I had constant ear problems and there was no swimming pool nearby. For me that would be really scary. Simon on the other hand was a really good swimmer and two of my grandsons are brilliant in the water.


No comments:

Post a Comment