Sunday 2 December 2012

Hope

I’m just back from a walk on Barden Moor followed by an amazing cake and cappuccino in a little cafe at the entrance to Strid Wood. What a treat being out with good friends and enjoying spectacular views in all directions and all of it almost on my doorstep. It’s the third walk I’ve done in the cold, crisp, bright weather we’ve been enjoying. On Wednesday and Thursday I went exploring on my own and discovered some footpaths and a lane I’ve never walked before. On both occasions I was out for about an hour and a half and only saw two other people and they were in the distance. All the time Simon’s Seat was in view above me – that was Simon’s favourite hill. When he was fit and healthy he walked up it every weekend often with a rucsac filled with bricks and large books if he was training for one of his ‘big’ Sherpa expeditions. There is a short steep ascent and a more gradual one – of course Simon opted for the challenging one. I sometimes went with him but more often than not he left me ironing or doing schoolwork. When I did go with him we both loved the scramble to the top and the views across to Parcevall Hall and down to Skyreholme. It was easy to imagine him standing at the top looking down on me as I walked along Skyreholme Bank – a warm feeling like the wintry sunshine.
Simon's Seat  is the rocky outcrop in the distance
 I was finding November difficult so decided on the spur of the moment to see if I could book a couple of days in Parcevall Hall, the Bradford Diocesan Retreat Centre. It turned out to be a good decision as the two days away were peaceful and very refreshing. The staff at Parcevall Hall are so caring, the food is delicious and it is lovely and warm which is not always the case at home. I wrote letters to go with Christmas cards abroad and did a lot of thinking. I have decisions to make but decided not to make them. I’ve never been on a personal retreat before. I can definitely recommend it and hope to do it again soon.


Can you see a glimpse of Parceval Hall through the trees?

 I’ve just lit my Advent candle – no calendar this year. I wonder if my grandsons have opened most of their calendar doors already when I arrive tomorrow morning. Perhaps they will have more self discipline this year but when there’s chocolate it’s very tempting. I’ve got a lovely Christmas story book to read them. It’s so easy to forget the real meaning of Christmas isn’t it? I’m going for a minimalist approach this year and hopefully all the razzmatazz of Christmas won’t blur the real message of hope and love.


No comments:

Post a Comment